Sunday, August 30, 2015

The Greatest Marriage Secrets!


My husband and I just celebrated our 22nd wedding anniversary, and so far, so good.  Things haven't always been perfect, but God has helped us stay and serve together.  So, after 22 years, I want to share the greatest secrets for a happy marriage.  The greatest marriage secret that I have for a happy marriage is.......... that there is no secret. Fortunately for me, I have all the tools necessary for a great marriage laid out for me in God's Word.  Unfortunately, we all want a magic formula for a marriage, when what a marriage needs is not magic.  It needs the Word of God.

Here are the "secrets"
1. Learn what God says in his Word about marriage. This is only hard because we don't want to do what God says, we want to "follow our hearts".  The problem is that our heart is wicked.   If he said something about the marriage relationship, he meant it, and does not mean for you to change it to suit your current desires. 

2. Love God, love your neighbor as yourself.  Luke 10:27   So simple, yet so hard. What do I want for me?  Love, patience, faithfulness, kindness, forgiveness, respect, the list could go on and on.  I want for my husband not to expect perfection from me, so why on earth should I expect it from him?

3. Be grateful for God's mercy.  God says in Colossians 3:15 to be thankful.   This is hard sometimes, because we should be thankful for everything, not just the "good" things. 

I am thankful that God does not hide his wisdom from us, but he lays it out quite simply in his Word. 


2 comments:

  1. Wow, happy anniversary! We just celebrated 24. Hope this is your best year ever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, and to you too! Praise the Lord for his faithfulness!

    ReplyDelete