Wednesday, September 2, 2015

One thing that I have learned along the way

When we got married, way back in 1993, I didn't really think about what it would take to stay happily married for life.  I just assumed that we would, as I am an optimist. But as often is the case, marriage does not always bring out the best in people.   You no longer "put your best foot forward" like when before you were married.  You no longer practice the self-control you did before.  Then, you are surprised when problems arise and you argue and/or fight.
    A lot of marriages don't survive, and many that do, are not happy.  So here is one thought that I had about what I have learned.

1. Be teachable. Always.    Having and "know it all" spirit is terrible for marriage. Even thinking that God is somehow going to solve all of your problems isn't helpful.  Can He? Of course he can, but that is not His goal.  His goal is to transform me into the image of His Son.  He often uses marital discord to show me my failings, my sins.  If I am open, He will teach me what I need to do to fix myself, and ultimately, keep my marriage going strong.  
   You can learn about marriage from anywhere and/or anyone, but beware!  God is the Creator of marriage and He alone gives me truth about marriage. So, everything that I read or listen to about marriage had better line up with the Word of God.  If not, toss it out, quickly!  I like to read, so I read a lot about marriage in books, and online.  If you know the Scriptures, it will be easy to spot bad advice.
  I have learned alot.  For example, I know that, biblically, I must respect my husband.  But I didn't really have a good idea about what that meant in practicality. So God sent me several books and teachings that have helped me put the theoretical into practice.
  Do I always show the respect that I should in the way that I should?  Unfortunately, no.  But thanks be to God, love covers a multitude of sins.

No comments:

Post a Comment