Friday, October 7, 2016

Body shaming vs Body Positive

It is not easy being a fat person.  I mean, it's easy to become a fat person, but once you are there, it is no joke.   Clothes are hard to find, ugly, and ill-fitting.  Seats are snug.  Entire stores don't carry your size.  Some people actively make fun of fat people.  I had a relative who, when he saw a fat lady walk by in a restaurant, said loud enough for all to hear, "I hope she orders a salad!"  Even those who don't say things like that out loud, may be thinking them.

   In recent years, there has been a movement toward acceptance of fat and people of larger sizes.  At first, it's a relief.   There are more stores that carry more options.  Nice.  But at what cost?  It would be so much easier if I just gave up, if I just learned to love my curves!   This sounds good and is very politically correct, but would not be good for me or my health.  No one really enjoys being fat and no amount of "acceptance" is going to change that.

  Honestly, though, we need both acceptance of what we are and encouragement to change.   I don't need anyone to tell me that I am OK the way I am, nor do I need anyone to tell me that I am fat.   If you know someone who needs help with their health, pray for them.  If you see them making positive changes, encourage them. Never sabotage their efforts, nor police them, either.

  Of course, Jesus said it perfectly so many years ago:  Do to others as you would have them do to you.   Accept them for who and what they are, and encourage them when they change for the better!

No comments:

Post a Comment