Saturday, August 20, 2016

In shock

   The other day, I had the opportunity to see a show called "My 600 pound life."   I had never seen it before because we don't have cable, but had heard of it.
   I was understandably shocked, which is, of course, the whole point of the show. You ask yourself, how does any get to that point? It is like anything else.  We are all capable of getting so far away from normal.

   It was very sad.  Some of these people needed counselling, not just surgery. All of them needed Jesus.  What really hit me hard was watching the families.  Most of the families were also very overweight and they just watched their loved one eat his way to misery.  Often, they were enablers, buying junk food and looking the other way.   I saw one episode of a young man who lived with his parents.  They wanted him to lose weight, but when he needed to lose 50 pounds in order to get surgery, they we unhelpful.  They all kept eating mac-and-cheese and other high-fat foods.   I know that it is everyone's own choice but I believe that we have an obligation to one another.  Wouldn't it be great if everyone pitched in to improve the whole family's diet?   I know that it was "reality" tv which isn't real at all.  But it was interesting!

No comments:

Post a Comment