Monday, February 15, 2016

Perfect love casts out fear.

As I sit here, writing out my Scripture, I am once again reminded of a truth. 1 John 4:18 says, "There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love" 

"Fear hath torment."  What an uncomfortable truth.  I often say that fear is the opposite of faith, and that it true.  But when I say that, it seems that it places all the effort on my part.  "If I can just work up enough faith, then I won't fear."   But that is not the way at all.  Scripture says that love casts out fear.  His love.  He is love. Perfect love. That is how I know that Scripture is referring to his love, and not mine.  His is perfect, mine is not. 

Love and faith go hand-in-hand.   I trust those I love.  Those who I love the most, I trust the most.  What came first, the love or the trust?  Do I love him because I know that I can trust him?  Why do we fear when One so great and powerful is the One who loves us the most?

I think we don't trust Him because we know that bad things still happen.  What we need to know is that nothing gets past him that isn't good for us.  We can trust Him to guide us through the fire, the flood, the temptation.  Where He leads me, I will follow.  Unafraid....in His love. 

1 comment: